flower fiber art finished

This little art quilt was an experiment... and an opportunity to use some new fibers and silk remnants I bought quite some time ago. The whole thing was improvisational. I had no plan.

It was fun to make and I learned a lot. So the next one can be executed more precisely... or not.

The foundation is a beautiful dark blue burlap. I can't wait to use this again! It was great to quilt through and is a very different look. The center flower is wool with a hand-beaded center. The flower on the right is made with 6 layers of fabric then deconstructed a bit. The left flower, well it is just sort of random.




 Linking up with Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday!
http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/2014/05/landscape-composition-off-wall-friday.html

Comments

  1. I really like that you used the burlap. Do you notice any bearding from the batting? I like using different fabrics and think the burlap has pretty nice texture but always wondered about how it would be to quilt through. Great experiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon: I put a layer of dark blue fabric under the burlap (on top of the batting) for this reason. Plus since the burlap is an open weave, I thought the white would show through. Even with the extra layer, it was still easy to quilt through. I liked that part a lot. As always, thank for your comments!

      Delete
  2. So interesting, I have heard that from other people. Fortunately, it does not bother me. Thanks so much for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! And a fun piece - I too have wondered about burlap, it has such a great texture especially for backgrounds with florals and such. Nice job and thank you for sharing it with us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Glad this was of interest.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts