new sewing table & a world of difference

Lucky me. I bought a fancy new sewing table. I searched around and visited some stores... and consulted my fellow Bernina owners in the Yahoo user group and settled on the Horn 5280 with the electric lift.

Image 1

I actually have a very tiny sewing studio and this thing barely fits in there. But it does fit, so that's the good news. Bad news is there very little room to walk around it... so I have to make do. But hey, its meant for sewing, not for me to walk around it, right?

The thing is on wheels and the back table folds down so I can push it up against the wall and still sew. I only need the back table when I am quilting something large. The table in the front on the left side pops off and can be easily stored in the cabinet. The beauty of this cabinet is the combination of the back table and the front left table because they hold the quilt perfectly flat so it is easier to move under the needle for free motion quilting.


Here's the quilt I am currently quilting. Its a commission for my friend Amy G. She made this fabulous top from a Sue Spargo pattern. There is an amazing amount of stunning embroidery and hand work in this thing, not to mention about 4 layers of wool

But back to the table, you can see how the whole quilt fits so well on the table and under the needle. No more fighting with heavy quilts that drop off the sides.  There is also a custom Plexiglas insert for each sewing machine of the major brands. Mine is being shipped and will be here in about 3 weeks.

The electric lift is just awesome. If I remove the knee lift, I can lift the Bernina up to change the bobbin and clean it. The lift also lowers the machine all the way down and comes with a board that pops in the top to become a flat table. So now I have extra table top space when I am not sewing.

Life is beautiful.

More on the Sue Spargo quilting to come in my next posts.


Comments

  1. Your new table looks like a wonderful addition to your studio, however small it is. The piece that you are quilting is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norma! So kind of you to comment. The table works great. The quilt was made by a friend - 100% hand applique and embroidery. I am quilting it for her.

      Delete
  2. Great new table! I believe that quality tools free us up to make more art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzan: Agree! Gotta have the right tools. I think this one will be great. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful new table, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Cheryl. table is working out great so far.

      Delete
  4. I love the room on the front left. I prop open my horn table drawer to support a quilt but that is not the best solution. The little prop on the right is a really fine idea too as the right area on my table is too narrow to hold anything.
    LeeAnna Paylor
    Not Afraid of Color! lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeeAnna: This table has been a dream so far. Has all the right stuff in all the right places. Its as if it were designed by a quilter!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts