an honor from the Texas Quilt Museum

Dear friends: I normally write about my personal journey as a quiltmaker on this blog. But I have some exciting quilt-related news I'd like to share.

Two well-respected pioneers in the quilt world - Karey Bresenhan and Nancy O'Bryant Puentes - the founders of the International Quilt Festival and co-founders of the Texas Quilt Museum - have named me the Faith P. and Charles L. Bybee Scholar on behalf of the Bybee Foundation and the Texas Quilt Museum.

When I got this incredible news, I almost cried. Truly!

Nancy O'Bryant Puentes, me and Karey Bresenhan at the Texas Quilt Museum in La Grange, Texas.
Karey, Nancy, the Museum and Bybee Foundation created this award to recognize quilt research taking place at the Texas Quilt Museum.

To read more, see the news release and Facebook page from the Texas Quilt Museum.

I am conducting research for a book and for a final capstone project on the same topic for a Master of Liberal Studies degree at Rice University. My research recently led me to La Grange for a private appointment to view several quilts in the museum's permanent collection. I've also spent time in their library and will continue to do research there.

My academic research is on contemporary Japanese quilts, specifically the sources of influence on the makers and the ways in which influence travels. The book will cover some of this same information, as well as Japan's quilting art history, current classes, competitions and museum exhibitions. It will also feature in-depth profiles of prominent contemporary quilters working in Japan today and will include hundreds of stunning quilt photographs. I have a contract with Schiffer Publishing for my book. It is too soon to say exactly when it will be published, but I am hopeful it will be late this year or first quarter 2015.

I am truly honored and will be forever grateful to everyone at the Texas Quilt Museum for making this happen, and to the Bybee Foundation for their support of the Museum.

And of course, I am also especially grateful to Rice University for creating a post-graduate liberal studies program and for encouraging creativity in the capstone topic.

Also, my colleagues at SAQA have shared this on their blog as well (thanks SAQA!)


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Shari! I appreciate your encouragement... and I love your profile photo!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts