hand work is good for the soul


In times like these, the very slow process of hand work is good for my soul. I find it helpful to slow down and just focus on the simple act of pulling thread in and out of fabric. Hand embroidery is one of my favorite things to do... and it is a skill I learned when I was around 9 years old.

This block is from a pattern by Lisa Bongean / Primitive Gatherings --- quilt is titled Twilight Garden. I bought it as a kit at International Quilt Festival last November and I am just now getting started on it.

The applique is hand-dyed wool, ebmroidered with Valdani pearl cotton thread.

Really love the beauty of this taupe palette on the midnight blue flannel background.



 I am also finally using some of the fabulous Japanese needles I bought several years ago at a needle shop in Kyoto. The shop is called Misyu Bari.

These needles are very sharp and it is a dream to sew with them. They are "French Embroidery" needles. These needles do not have that glossy, high polish that you see on a lot of needles, and at first I thought that might make them slower. But I have found the opposite. They are so strong and sharp that I am not using a thimble at all.

Now... just 11 more blocks, a large center panel, and an intricate border to complete!

Comments

Popular Posts