embroidery from Mexico: a visual feast


The colors of Mexico are so rich. And oh, the hand embroidery is amazing. I just returned from a visit to Mexico City and I loved seeing all the beautiful hand work. Mexico's first-class museums showcase these textile arts, especially the National Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City. This museum breaks down these ancient textile traditions and the many different types of weaving and embroidery within Mexico's diverse cultures. It is a visual feast and a great history lesson.





The shops are also full of contemporary hand embroidery. Embroidery is seemingly everywhere - these brightly colored shapes, animals, birds, and plant motifs. I brought home only a couple of things --- so little space. Needed an extra suitcase and an extra wallet! 

But I left inspired to learn more about Mexico's textile history. One day, when the world is safer, I want to travel there again and go out and visit the rural areas where these traditional handicrafts originated. And also learn the secrets to their beautiful hand work. Any one want to come with me?




Comments

Popular Posts