A beautiful red cardinal appliqued on black wool.
The stitching shows up much better in this photo. I started on this piece quite a few weeks back. It is made using fused applique on a gorgeous piece of black wool. I bought the wool at International Quilt Festival last year and I've been waiting for the opportunity to use it. It seems to me that the high-contrast between the solid black and the red makes the cardinal just pop off the background... and where he's hanging, its as if he is sitting looking out the windows of my new studio. This photo below helps give some perspective on how large this piece is.
The Calder-inspired art quilt in the corner is one I made years ago. I also made the red & white window shade!
This extreme close up was taken while I was still working on this piece. The cardinal body is covered in thread painting... which is a fairly new technique for me. (In case you are not familiar with this technique, it means I used my Bernina to cover the fabric in thread, using very close lines in a pattern.) The thread painting was done before the cardinal was quilted to the wool... so the thread painted stitches do not show on the back.
I used a 12 wt Aurifil cotton thread. I ordered it online (for another project) and actually got the 12 wt by mistake. Then I decided to try it out on this project. The thread sheds a great deal, but I love the thickness of the stitches... looks almost like hand embroidery with pearl cotton.
Off the Wall Fridays
Finish it p Friday