slow stitching a zebra

Teresa Duryea Wong on the road side somewhere in Oregon, with a hand stitched zebra. Aug 2019.
Slow stitching is not really designed for blogs or social media. But I do love to do handwork.

This image was taken last week on our very long driving vacation from Texas to Oregon, and back. I love to take stuff with me to do in the car.

The zebra I am holding here looks a bit odd, so let me explain. I started with a photograph (by Joel Sartore, used with permission) of this zebra's backside! The image just got to me for some reason... I think its pretty cool and unusual. So I printed the image out on cotton (via Spoonflower). Then I cut out the image and basted it on to a 60-inch piece of black wool. Now I am covering the entire zebra in hand embroidery! The cotton print is just a guide. You will not see the printed fabric when I am done.

The stitches can best be described as a folk art, stab/satin stitches. Going for a funky, dimensional look. I am using all Valdani pearl cotton #8. I plan to use thicker yarn and thread on the mane and tail.

The needle is a Tulip (from Japan!) and this awesome thimble is also from Japan.


I started this project last summer on a drive to California. I do not know how long it will take me to finish... I have covered about 2/3 of the right hind side. So, clearly this will take a while. But, what's the rush?

When it is done, I will either hand quilt around the image or machine quilt it. Not sure. But I have plenty of time to think about it.


Comments

  1. What an awe-inspiring task! I love the texture from your stitching in the close-up picture. It makes it feel like fur/hair!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts