forget the double wedding ring, this quilt is a star with single rings

I came across a very cool pattern by Denyse Schmidt and just had to make it. I haven't made too many quilts from patterns in recent years. I did make a double wedding ring quilt a half a lifetime ago. These single rings were a lot more fun and certainly more modern!




This quilt was a gift for my daughter and her boyfriend for their new Brooklyn apartment.

These blocks are very large... over 20 inches or so. Inside each ring, I used my new circle ruler set to make concentric circles and then quilted inside the circles. As a side note, I recently purchased two books by Amanda Murphy on FMQ and quilting with rulers. Both books are excellent. Simple and short. I purchased three different sets of rulers she designed as well, and I used the circle set on this quilt. Here is a link to her blog.

My daughter's special request was for fabrics in the gray scale category... black, white and gray. I love these colors too and had tons of fabrics to make these small pieces. All the sections of the circle are cut improv style (no ruler). This pattern also has the option to purchase a set of acrylic templates to make the circles, but I did not purchase those. I just used the paper pattern.

I made this quilt in queen size. Because it was for a bed, I used Warm & Plush batting. And it was a great decision. This style of batting is thicker than my regular fave, Warm & Natural, so it gave it more loft and a lovely drape for a bed. I plan to use Warm & Plush again soon!











And here is a picture of the boyfriend checking out the new quilt!  And just for fun, here's a photo of my Double Wedding Ring from long ago. Hand quilted! Still love these colors! Photo is a little dark... the inside is pure white, with black and white rings. Quilted in black thread.


Comments

  1. The single wedding ring pattern is so cool- it's amazing how much more contemporary it feels than the double. I love the quilting pattern in each ring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way you quilted this quilt with the rulers. I so appreciate you giving the link to the ruler and her books. I have seen a lot of the acrylic rulers and I'm not sure if they are worth purchasing. I like this design very much. Its a lovely quilt for your daughter and her friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts