making a quilt from a pattern - why not?

It's been at least a decade, maybe longer since I made a quilt from a pattern. For a long time I prided myself on my original ideas for quiltmaking. I thought that it was somehow more creative to design quilts myself. Plus I was making smaller art quilts and many of them were figurative --- animals mostly. So it was an easy path to design them myself.

Lately, I am taking a new direction. After years of art quilts, I am somehow drawn back to the traditional format these days. And, not only have I a made a quilt from a pattern, but I also bought a kit recently - another first for many, many years! More on that later.

When it comes to large, traditional inspired quilts, I think there is a lot to be said for a pattern made by someone who has done the work to figure things out and design a quilt that is unique, and also you can count on the final quilt to have a certain balance and professional design. 

Here is one of those patterns!


The pattern name is Star Storm by Victoria Findlay Wolfe.


The quilt is 80 x 80 inches! Very large. The pattern is basically 10 large segments (kind of like big diagonal blocks). The segments are then sewn together in order. It took me a long time to cut out the fabric, there are a lot more pieces that you would think at first glance. But the sewing part went pretty quickly.

The hardest part is getting the points on the star to line up. These are pretty critical. I feel like mine lined up really well.

I actually plan to make this again! But with a totally different palette... black and white. Its on my to do list anyway. 

This photo below shows the quilt on the frame in my living room - I have not done the binding yet. - but you can see how big it is!



I am truly grateful that there are so many talented pattern designers out there. I have made a few patterns myself and I know there is a lot of work involved in designing and writing patterns! Thanks Victoria for making this cool star quilt.

Can't wait to make this again.




Comments

Popular Posts