unpacking from QuiltCon 2019


Just returned from five days in Nashville, Tennessee for QuiltCon 2019. My head is still spinning... and I have so many things to do, people to follow up with, new ideas, and stuff I want to make that I just can't focus on what to do next. 


I gave two lectures and it was such a thrill. My lecture on "Cotton & Indigo from Japan" had a great crowd! Thanks to everyone who got up early for this 9 am spot. 


As usual, I traveled with my quilt buddy, Amy G. And we both managed to traipse through the isles and buy a few goodies... mostly on Sunday. There were fewer people in the hall that day, possibly because of all the flooding in the region the day before. I felt sorry for the vendors, but it was a great day to look at all the booths without the crowds. 

I also gave a lecture on my NEW BOOK "American Cotton: Farm to Quilt" and I spent some time in the American Made Brand booth signing books and talking to quilters.

The lovely Marianne Fons stopped by and it was so nice to visit with her in person. We've talked on the phone before when I interviewed her. Pictured here is me, and (center) Candice Hoffman, Creative Director of American Made Brand (and co-owner of Clothworks) and Marianne Fons on the right. Marianne has made major contributions to the quilt world - she is one of the founders of Fons & Porter and other companies as well, and she is also one of the founders of Quilts of Valor.


And best of all, I got to see all the quilts on view. Below are a few of my favorites.

These two are by Carson Converse - beautiful minimalist quilts. My camera phone and the odd lighting of the convention center do not do them justice. Carson had 4 quilts in the show, two of them were awarded First and Second place in the Minimalist category. Well deserved. Her quilts are quiet and powerful... true minimalist objects that draw the eye in and keep it there, soaking up every detail.


This one below is extra large. Made by Laura Preston. Love the graphic lines and clean color.


Malka Dubrawsky (from Austin, Texas) made this beautiful triangle quilt. I met Malka at Houston International Quilt Festival last year. She is also a fabulous fabric designer.


This bold, stunning quilt below was made by Christine Ricks. I think the color and pattern are very striking and its so timeless. Christine is part of the brain-trust behind the new "Curated Quilts" magazine. Check it out here: curatedquilts.com


This one is called Pathways and it was made by Tanya Munro, from Russia. I kept coming back to this quilt... so intriguing.

Comments

Popular Posts