three quilts of Christmas past

Another holiday season come and gone. Its been a busy quilt season --- with three finishes to share.  

First finish:

I made this Japanese dyed indigo quilt for my son. After washing these beautiful fabrics, they turned out so soft and pliable... almost like linen.

For the quilt top, I chose a pattern that was super simple, and not too fancy (and not too feminine). I opted for plain 10-inch blocks, and a few 4-patch blocks thrown in. As it turned out, I used every scrap of fabric I bought - which I love! No leftovers. I quilted it in Aurifil indigo-colored thread with a basic stippling pattern so it didn't detract from the prints.


Second finish:


This quilt was made by my quilt buddy Amy G. and I machine quilted it for her. The applique on the giraffe is quilted with two variegated Aurifil threads. The rest of the quilt was finished using an all-over pattern called 'Sixes Swirl' from Leah Day. I love how the quilting turned out on this one.



Third finish:


A custom order from my Etsy site for a toddler quilt. This one was quite large - 42 x 70 inches - much larger than what I normally make and quilt on my Bernina. Making this, I could sure see how a long arm would have made things so much easier.  The quilt design is an original design. The applique is all edge turned and sewn with the satin stitch. It was important to me to do it the old fashioned way, and no fusibles or glues of any kind were used... so its softer and safer for the baby/toddler, and it will last longer. The satin stitch and all the quilting on this one is also from my colorful Aurifil collection.


Wishing everyone all the best for a Happy New Year.

And since this is Friday, I am linking up with Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays.

Comments

  1. Love all three, I even have some Indigo fabric. I have been stumped on how to use it but I like the way you used a simple cut to not take away from the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan for your comments. Yes, the super simple approach on the idigo turned out well I think. All three were fun to make.

      Delete
  2. Good morning Teresa ! Your quilting is perfect on that more than awesome giraffe !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the variety of quilts from serene Japanese to the humor of the custom baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to see these! The giraffe is so colorful with the stitching! LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great quilts!!!! Another wonderful year :) Looking forward to sharing what you do this coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a pattern for the giraffe quilt? I love the Kaffe Fasset color!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts