a circle in the sun


Here's a crazy clash of prints and saturated colors basking in the sun.

This idea for quilt started when I was researching old quilt blocks. I was inspired by the points and circular shapes in these old blocks and decided to design a quilt with these ideas in mind. I am not skilled in using a computer in making a quilt pattern... so I constructed my design the old fashioned way --- on paper. 


I laid out paper on the floor and taped them together, and taped edges to the floor. Then I drew a grid on the paper, and then started designing from there. I cut the paper pieces to use for the pattern, adding quarter-inch seams on all sides of course. 

Finished size: about 65 x 65 inches. Machine quilted on my longarm using only free motion and rulers.

Fabric: (horses) Melody Miller / Cotton & Steel; Keiko Goke (circles); center flower Kaffe Fassett; outside border Marcia Derse.

Hanging in my studio where the bright colors and crazy prints make me happy.






Comments

  1. Fabulous - love that riot of color! Nice touch to add the piping at the binding too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! That piping in the binding is my latest thing... makes it easy to machine stitch the binding on. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Really a great compass quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate your nice comments. I actually forgot that these were called compass quilts... :)

      Delete
  3. This is great! I love all the patterns and the additional piecing detail that becomes apparent the longer you look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon: You are so nice. Thanks a bunch. It was fun to make!!! Teresa

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Kris: Thanks for your nice comments. This one is definitely not a quiet one. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts