a whole lot of pieces


This quilt top has been in the works for quite a while. I started it last year when I made one block and it turned out beautiful. Then I made a second block, and it turned out horrible. It seemed like, all of a sudden after 20 years of quiltmaking, I could not piece a block properly anymore. I was frustrated and put it away.

Recently I drug it all back out and decided to make it work. My piecing is still not perfect, but its done! And now its on the longarm and I have started quilting it!

My version of this quilt is based on an antique quilt from the collection of Joanna Rose. When I saw the old quilt, I knew I wanted to make one like it one day, but I didn't know how to do it. So I searched online and found a pattern from Minick and Simpson, called Mrs. Rose's Best. The pattern is for 4 blocks, but I made mine with 9 blocks just like the original.

My quilt is 93 in x 93 in! The finished pieces in the checkerboard are 1 inch each.

Antique quilt from collection of Joanna Rose.


I used almost an entire spool of 50 wt Aurifil thread just on the piecing! Crazy.

I wanted to use a fabric combo that was fun and modern. I tested at least a half dozen combos and ended up with Kona cotton Flame (reddish orange) and Malibu. The quilting will be straight lines, ruler work, in thread that matches.



Comments

  1. Wow, stunning quilt! Beautiful pattern, lot of tiny squares ;) The red is so bright, it's almost difficult to look at the photo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. These colors are electric! :) Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  2. Hi Teresa, your quilt is really amazing. It looks so modern in those colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andree: Thanks so much for your nice comments. This one took a long time!!!

      Delete
  3. Just breathtaking!! I love that you were inspired by an antique quilt. You have such patience and it shows!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, patience is not one of my strengths normally. I use what little I have on quilting! :) Thanks for your nice comments.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts