one for the bed, one for the wall

This project has been on my mind for a long time. I finally made a "whole cloth" quilt using fabric designed by Japanese artist Yoshiko Jinzenji. The fabric is a very soft white linen speckled with her minimalist design elements. And this new quilt sparked a whole master bedroom redo.



I love her fabric and for this particular design, I felt that keeping the whole design in tact was a better option than cutting it up. So I used two long uncut sections and pieced them together down the middle. This linen is very soft and thin, so it was a bit hard to work with because it moves easily... plus king size is just so big that it has it own set of challenes.

To keep the white color looking white, I used Warm & White batting and I think it was a great choice. And because this was going on the bed, I used a second layer of Warm  & Natural batting underneath... wanted the quilt to have more weight.

I added a border on all 4 sides in order to get the quilt the right size. The border print is very simple, clean white and black thin stripes. It seemed to go well with the minimalist, abstract design without detracting.


I quilted this on my longarm, a Bernina Q24, using straight edge to edge lines.

The new quilt on the wall is one I finished a couple months ago... and is currently one of my favorites! It is an orignal design... made with African waxed fabrics and black Kona cotton. I also quilted this one in straight, edge to edge quilting in a gold cotton Aurifil thread. Even though this quilt is a bit busy, I think these two quilts somehow go together really well. Both are very special fabrics gathered from my trips around the world... and the black and gold wall quilt is striking against the nearly all white quilt on the bed.



Comments

  1. I love Yoshiko's fabric and completely understand about not want to cut it. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol for your comments. Yes, her fabric is so unique and it has a vibe all of its own… I doubt in her mind she ever even thought people would cut it up, I think she just had a vision and turned it into fabric.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these! The white bed quilt is very brave! I'd be afraid of the dogs muddying it up!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts