a modern, classic quilt for Christmas


I made this queen-size patchwork red and black quilt for my son for Christmas. These are his favorite colors and I am super happy about the way it turned out. I found this perfect red and black plaid while shopping (see link) from Jilly Studio at the International Quilt Festival and I love how the design it is set on the diaganol. I think it made a good border. The fabric collection is called Berries. I also used the black ticking from this same collection. 

I alternated solid black blocks (Kona cotton) with Half Square Triangles. I think it looks kind of modern traditional... but until I learn a better method, I don't think I will be doing any more HSTs! Ugh, they are a pain. 

For the solid black blocks I quilted a free-motion design I learned from Angela Walters using rulers on my longarm. All the thread is a red, 40 wt. Aurifil.

The batting is 2 layers of Warm & Plush, an extra thick all cotton batting made by Warm Company. I love, love this batting!

And the backing is a Buffalo plaid from Windham Fabrics - and it is just lovely.

I think this one will last... might even be passed on someday.

Here is the photo from Christmas morning! Plus a few more shots....







Comments

Popular Posts