one very special Japanese master quilter: Yoshiko Katagiri

May 2018: I made my annual pilgrimage to Japan and while in Tokyo, I visted a strange and lovely quilt exhibition. 

Hotel Gajoen Tokyo is a "museum hotel"... a very upscale and historic place.



The venue included seven large galleries, some with traditional tatami mats, and each gallery was a work of art on its own with inlaid tiles and very traditional Japanese art on the walls. The rooms were beautiful, but also had very strange lighting on the quilts. So my photos look a little odd....


Many of Japan's master quilters were represented. The exhibtion was juried / invitation only. It was fun to see many lesser known quilt artists too. One quilt in particular caught my eye: this one of the four seasons by Yoshiko Katagiri.

Yoshiko Katagiri has been making quilts for decades, and each year, her quilts get more and more original, more abstract, contemporary and interesting. I was fortunate to see two of her newest quilts during my trip.


Each of these sections represent a season - from the left: spring, then midnight in summer, then fall and winter.

The beautiful circle are hand applique and made from antique silk kimono fabric. And the quilt is hand quilted.


The second Yoshiko Katagiri quilt I saw was at the new festival in Yokohama - Quilt Time Festival.


This quilt is a beatuiful tour-de-force in hand applique. The background is her signature dusty black, all hand-dyed to her specification. The rest is all applique, mostly antique silk.

Yoshiko, and her daughter Masako, have become friends of mine over the years. I have visisted their home in Nara. And Masako is a quilt researcher, so we enjoy helping each other and exchanging notes. I feel so lucky to have met them and count them among my growing group of Japanese friends.


We met for lunch while I was in Yokohoma and snapped this photo after. Its an apt depiction of Yoshiko - she is ALWAYS smiling and laughing. And even though we do not speak the same language, we communicate easily through the language of quilting!









Comments

  1. What a stunning exhibit--amazing works...thank you so much for sharing--Yoshiko's work is so inspiring...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julierose. Just being close to these quilts and the women who make them makes me happy! And I love sharing them with others. Thanks for reading. Teresa

      Delete
  2. You are so fortunate to see so many stunning quilts and venues in Japan. We are fortunate you share them (with information) so generously. Thanks, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann. Thanks for your nice comments. I feel very lucky to travel to Japan so often and it is part of my mission to help share the awesome Japanese quilts with the world. Thanks for taking time to leave a comment. Teresa

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your beautiful talk of this artists work. I wonder if you know of a way that I can contact her. I live in Canada and my quilt group is interested in seeing quilt shows from other countries via zoom. I really love Yoshiko’s work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts