it all started with a jelly roll

Quilting without a plan suits me just fine. My latest quilt all started with a jelly roll.


Recently, I went to hear a lecture about the history of feed sacks by Linzee Kull McCray. Linzee actually happens to be a friend of mine, a fellow quilt author! I really enjoyed hearing her talk and learned a few new things about those old cotton sacks.

At her lecture, I could not resist buying a jelly roll of her newest fabric designs - Red Rover - manufactured by Moda. Linzee's designs are inspired by her love of old cotton feed sacks.

So I took out the strips and started cutting and sewing. I had one idea, then swerved to a completely different one. I ended up with sixteen, 14 inch blocks, with wonky improv style piecing. I added sashing and border in matching solids. 

I love how the unplanned pieced created all these little tucks of fabric here and there inside the blocks. 



Finished size is 76 x 76 inches.

Here is the cover of Linzee's book. The original print run for this book has sold out!!! But hold on, there is a reprint coming and it will be available again this fall. You don't want to miss this book. It is a visual feast and has a lot of good information.


I will be quilting this top very soon! Then its going to a new home... giving it away to a dear friend. 



Comments

Popular Posts